Agrusti Palace

Agrusti Palace

The family of Agrusti, already in 1807, in the ward called San Damiano owned some trulli with a neighboring vegetable garden, almost at the far end of the wide road leading from the square to the church of the Saints Medici.
The Royal Decree of 1797 had abolished the centuries-old obligation imposed by Conversano's accounts to build only dry houses, that is to trulli, but without windows; it was therefore possible to build for the first time made with mortar, freely according to the citizens' preferences. Because of the general despair of the inhabitants, however, only some were able to build civilian multi-storey buildings.

Nicola Agrusti (1788 - 1846), a wealthy farmer who owned three farms in Noci's territory, wanted to make a luxurious residence worthy of his own social condition on the site of his old house. He then commissioned the brothers Orazio and Tommaso Curri, bricklayers who, between 1840 and 1842, raised the palazzo that is now admired, architecturally remarkable for being the first house with decorations and perspectives existing in Alberobello, as evidenced by a nineteenth-century chronicle , decorated with ornaments performed mainly by Tommaso Curri, a valued stonecutter.

You do not know the designer of this neo-classical palace, which has nine rooms on the ground floor, nine on the first floor and five on the loggia discovered on the second floor. In 1856, ten years after the death of the owner, the three sons Antonio, Constantine and Vito Agrusti shared paternal property. The three were remarkable personalities of the Risorgimento period: Antonio (1812 - 1881), priest, patriot, after 1848 he was imprisoned in Trani; Constantine (1812 - 1883), after the unification of Italy, was captain of the National Guard and contributed until 1863 to the repression of the brigandage; Vito (1823-1906), priest priest, after 1848 was sent to the confines of Trani.

Antonio Agrusti decorated the ceiling of the great hall, owned by Luigi Fabron (1855-1907), who painted in 1878 the four Evangelists in the dome of the church of San Domenico Soriano in Naples; the painter of Turin, among other things, depicted in a distinct box on the pavilion a panorama of the city with the inscription "Alberobello 1880" and the three farms who made the fortune of the family. Another painter, Salvatore Cozzolino, perhaps Neapolitan, instead embellished the vault of a bedroom with four subjects and romantic landscapes.

Towards the end of the 19th century, the entire palace was inherited by the firstborn son of Constantine, Nicholas (1846 - 1929), a doctor and famous progressive liberal politician, Alberobello Mayor from 1878 to 1889. This in turn transmitted it to the homonymous nephew Nicola Agrusti (1900 - 1983), engineer, celibe, last owner of the building. With him, the Agrusti family is extinct.

  • Marilda Rotolo

    Marilda Rotolo

     Director 

    Palazzo Agrusti is not just a place to spend a night eating a small meal in the morning, but it is the experience of a more humane, warm and familiar dimension that becomes an occasion for cultural exchange and a source of delicacy both for the guest

    ´╗┐Read





Top